I love to make lists! My latest list, created just yesterday, I titled, "The Big List of Things I Could Accomplish If Only I'd Come Down Every Day and Just Get My Work Done." Because every day I come out of my bedroom and make my way to the breakfast room where my office is set up with the intention and expectation of working for six hours. And every day I instead check Facebook, Pinterest, and e-mail; surf through a variety of websites checking for new fanfiction; read fanfiction (lots of time spent there); check out the totally implausible-sounding website, "Wow, that really IS a real website!" or that bizarre item I read about in the fanfiction on Amazon, "Oh, hey, check that out. Cool. Ooh, people who bought this also bought____. I should check that out too!"; play games on my computer (I'm especially fond of Soduku, Spider Solitaire and a couple games on NeoPets) and finally - sometimes five or six or more HOURS later - I finally decide I'm wasting time and better get busy if I want to get my work done before bed time. And then I'm sometimes (often) up until at least 10 or 11 pm trying to finish those six hours of work. What a waste of life! I'm worth more than this!
So anyway, back to my BIG LIST...
The boring basics made an appearance. Accomplish chores in a timely manner - things like keeping up with dishes, shopping, menu planning, and other miscellaneous cleaning. Make time to get on with the business of life - things like exercise and devotions.
But BIG things - the things I'd like to accomplish "if only I had the time" - those were the point of the "Big List" in the first place. The very special and exciting things on this part of the list are:
1. Go through all my Creative Memories stuff and make an updated and accurate inventory. I'll be able to find what I need when I need it and maybe I'll even be able to sell some of it and make a buck or two!
2. Go through the stuff that's in boxes or laying around and make garage sale, give away, and throw away piles.
3. Finish cleaning/packing up my craft room, aka the room where everybody in the family dumps the stuff they don't know what else to do with.
4. Reclaim my naked room. Have you seen Failure To Launch? The dad, played by Terry Bradshaw, has always wanted a naked room, where he can just hang out naked and do whatever he wants. I didn't have any need or desire to hang out naked, but when my kids grew up and my son decided he no longer wanted to have a bedroom upstairs with the rest of the family I decided I wanted a room that would just be mine where I could do things that were important to ME and not have to share the space with the rest of the family and their habit of filling up every inch of spare space with their own clutter. Eventually (with my son's blessing) I adopted his room as my "naked room." My mom helped me power-clean through years of trash and orphan socks and old games and forgotten books and unwanted toys. We stripped it down to just the bed and desk that ds said he wanted and some memorabilia (that he didn't want, but I just couldn't throw away his T-ball participation trophy from when he was 4) and then gave it a decorative sponge paint job (I'd wanted to try that for years but dh "couldn't see it"). So I finally had a room with a TV/VCR/DVD to play exercise videos/DVDs as well as plenty of floor space to do the exercising. There was also a comfy chair that was supposed to provide a quiet spot to have devotions. Then the daughter came home from college and decided that the big empty room right next to hers was the ideal space to dump all her unwanted CRAP when she cleaned her own room. Naked Room=Gone. Hmmm. Do I sound bitter? I think I sound bitter. I don't mean to be bitter. I might be just a tiny bit bitter. :-(
5. Make time to consistently blog. I don't know that I have anything special to say to the world, but I think it's therapeutic to see what I have to say to myself. I'd like to one day look back and see how far I've come and how much I've changed since starting this. I'm a strong believer in journaling about everyday life, just not really a practitioner. Yet. I'm working on it! :-)
So - I had intended to say, "Look at me! I made a little list about big goals!" But instead, once again, my fingers had more to say. And that's ok. I'm going places and doing great things. And as I do, I'll tell you all about it.
And I'm starting tomorrow morning by coming down to my office and just getting my work done without doing all that other time-wasting stuff first. I'll let you know how that goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment